APG Polytech – Sharon Center
SHC Analytical Test Lab – Analytical Chemist
The position is based in the Polyester R&D Center of APG Polytech (Far Eastern-New Century) in Sharon Center, Ohio. This is a supervisory hands-on position that will be responsible for the supervision and oversight of the daily operations of the Polyester R&D Center’s Analytical Chemistry and Physical Testing Labs.
The duties associated with this position include:
- Being part of a team of scientists and engineers working to solve problems, develop new products and processes, and supporting the polyester business unit or customer needs.
- Provide laboratory support for polymer and chemical R&D projects, the on-site pilot plant facilities, analysis of customer samples as requested by Technical Service, and some testing of specialty polymers production.
- Responsible for the oversight of established test methods, able to conduct independent research for new methods development or modification of existing methods.
- Overseeing the maintenance and calibration of lab instrumentation and the overall readiness of the labs.
- Work with instrument vendors to ensure efficient lab operations and future needs are considered.
- Able to work/manage in a LIMS environment.
- In depth knowledge of method development, method validation, method transfer & documentation, and able to maintain knowledge continuity within the lab testing environment.
- Training and oversight of 3-5 technicians.
- Able to conduct statistical analysis of analytical chemistry data for key lab test methods
- Enforcement of Lab safety policies and able to both observe and enforce organizational Environmental, Health and Safety policies for lab safety, industrial hygiene, and personal protective equipment.
- Ph.D. or M.S. in Analytical Chemistry, or a related technical discipline (5-8 years of experience).
- Extensive hands on experience and knowledge of chromatography (e.g., GC, GC-MS, LC, LC-MS, ICP), spectroscopy (especially XRF, plus FTIR, UV-Vis, NIR), and wet chemical analysis methods.
- Extensive hands on experience in polymer analysis and characterization (IV, DSC, TGA, end group analysis, capillary rheology). Permeability testing (Mocon) is a plus.
- Experience in troubleshooting, maintaining, and calibrating laboratory equipment and analytical instruments.
- Knowledge of chromatographic, spectroscopic, thermal, and physical characterization methods used in polymer science, polymer chemistry, low molecular weight polymers, resin chemistry, and organic chemistry.
- Strong data interpretation and problem solving skills.
- Self-motivated, able to manage multiple simultaneous projects, able to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently as well as supervise and teach other members of the technical team.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively in a multicultural team.
- Good organizational, written, and oral communication skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office software, especially Excel, Power Point, and Word.
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
- Proficient in reading, writing and speaking the English language.
- Domestic and international travel may sometimes be required.
- Previous analytical experience with PET (polyethylene terephthalate), polyesters, polymers, and organic chemicals.
Send resumes to Fanny Liao at email@example.com