City of Medina – Medina
CITY OF MEDINA
August 27, 2021
Position Title: SEASONAL Laborer (Sanitation Department)
Pay Grade: $18.66/hour (maximum of 29 hours weekly)
CLASSIFICATION FEATURES: The work in this class is manual labor of more than ordinary difficulty that often involves the use of acquired skill and calls for the use of some skills acquired by experience or on-the-job training. An employee in this classification usually works under the supervision of a foreman or superintendent who issues oral work orders and inspects work frequently. An employee in this classification may be assisted by unskilled laborers.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assists Motor Equipment Operators in the maintenance and repair of City equipment and property.
- Assists Department personnel as needed.
- Acts as assistant to mechanics, carpenters, sign painters, and other tradesmen when special skills are not required.
- Assists in snow removal, including in parks, municipal parking lots, driveways, and streets as directed.
- Collects waste from City park locations and from the back of packer truck.
- Paints City equipment and property as assigned.
- Assists in daily maintenance of vehicles and equipment.
- Reports illegal and inappropriate behavior to Supervisors.
- Cleans and repairs vandalized City property.
- Able to perform the physical duties that include but are not limited to having the strength and agility sufficient to lift and maneuver heavy objects and the ability to climb into and operate large equipment and trucks, along with ability to bend, stoop, squat, climbing on scaffolding and ladders, twist, reach, and work on irregular surfaces and in the open on moving vehicles.
- Maintains regular and consistent attendance.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- Some experience in performing semi-skilled maintenance or construction tasks.
- High school diploma or GED preferred, or any equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Ohio and must remain insurable under the City of Medina’s vehicle insurance plan.
- Semi-skilled maintenance and manual tasks;
- Traffic and safety regulations; and
- Accident prevention practices.
Communicate effectively in writing or orally with co-workers, supervisors and the general public in person or over a telephone or radio;
- Operate equipment and machinery by both night and day;
- Operate City radios in a professional manner;
- Lift at least 60 pounds on a regular basis;
- Observe unsafe conditions of roadways; and
- Understand and follow complex oral and written instructions.
May be required to work outside normal business hours including weekends, evenings and holidays.
Operates chain saws, jackhammers, wood chippers, riding and push mowers, pick-up trucks, backhoes, and other equipment and vehicles as assigned.
These are temporary positions which could lead to a permanent opportunity over time.
Questions: call 330.722.9077